How Often Should I Change My Air Filters?
Occasionally, the filters in your HVAC system will need to be replaced. Not only does regularly changing the filter improve the air quality in your home, but it also increases the lifespan of your HVAC system. More importantly, a dirty filter can even pose a safety risk in your home. But how do you know when it's time to change out your filters?
On average, it is recommended that you replace your filters every other month. However, your home's HVAC system may need more frequent changes. Read on for more information about the right time to change your air filters.
Factors Affecting Your Air Filters
There are several factors that can affect how often you should change your air filters, including:
- Size of your home - Smaller homes with more people in them might need more frequent changes.
- Time of year - If you are not using your HVAC system during milder months, you may not need to change the filters as often.
- Number of pets in the home - Pet hair and particles will significantly affect the air quality in your home.
- Air quality outside the home - If you live in an area with heavy pollution, it can affect your indoor air quality as well.
Every home is different, but over time, you will be able to tell how often you need to change the filters in your home.
Signs it's Time to Change Your Filters
Sometimes, you may need to change your filters ahead of your regular schedule. Some of the tell-tale signs to check your filters include:
- Increase in energy bills
- Presence of dust
- Sneezing or allergy symptoms
- Overheating in your HVAC system
Changing your air filters is an important part of HVAC system maintenance, and the experts at Westberry are here to help. Our services are available 24 hours a day, so if you have questions or need assistance with changing your air filters, contact us today!